dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: When will v3 start to get picky about Java EE 6 features?

From: vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:21:40 -0700

Kenneth Saks wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:35 PM, vince kraemer wrote:
>
>> there is one particular case that I am worried about...
>>
>> Currently, if the user adds an ejb into a java ee 5 web app... it
>> works like it is a java ee 6 web app... despite what the web.xml
>> says....
>
> Hi Vince,
>
> We haven't fully implemented the annotation processing rules for EJBs
> in the .war yet (particularly w.r.t. metadata-complete), but the
> behavior you mentioned actually matches the current EJB 3.1 spec
> requirements.

OK. that is actually a good thing.

> The original thinking was we didn't want to force developers to change
> web.xml version just to take advantage of the new packaging flexibility.

OK.

> However, there are some benefits to that restriction since it would
> protect against unintended new behavior for existing EE 5 .wars that
> happen to contain classes with EJB component-defining annotations.
> It's not clear how likely that is though. What are your main concerns?

I am writing up some blog entries about using NetBeans 6.7 to do Java EE
6 development (even though NB 6.7 does not 'support' Java EE 6
development). If things like the headers in the descriptor files need
to change... I want to include a note about that now....

If they won't need to be changed... even better...

vbk