dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: When will v3 start to get picky about Java EE 6 features?

From: Kenneth Saks <Kenneth.Saks_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:01:12 -0400

On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:35 PM, vince kraemer wrote:

> there is one particular case that I am worried about...
>
> Currently, if the user adds an ejb into a java ee 5 web app... it
> works like it is a java ee 6 web app... despite what the web.xml
> says....

Hi Vince,

We haven't fully implemented the annotation processing rules for EJBs
in the .war yet (particularly w.r.t. metadata-complete), but the
behavior you mentioned actually matches the current EJB 3.1 spec
requirements. The original thinking was we didn't want to force
developers to change web.xml version just to take advantage of the new
packaging flexibility.

However, there are some benefits to that restriction since it would
protect against unintended new behavior for existing EE 5 .wars that
happen to contain classes with EJB component-defining annotations.
It's not clear how likely that is though. What are your main concerns?

  --ken