dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 (trunk) does not start

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_sun.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 07:32:08 +0530

Jerome Dochez wrote:
> Anyhow, I think the most compatible without being a fascist would be :
>
> 1. installer checks that JDK version 1.6 is in the path
> 1.a if yes, do not set AS_JAVA
> 1.b if no, set AS_JAVA to the JDK 1.6 location assuming it can
> find it from the registry (windows) or ask the user.
> 1.c remember that on Solaris, most linux and the mac, the JDK
> can be found in most cases automatically.
>
> 2. asadmin.sh and asadmin.bat starts using AS_JAVA from asenv.conf
> or if set as an environment variable.
>
> 3. for zipped installations, deliver asenv.conf without an AS_JAVA
> setting. user is responsible for setting the JDK.

I will add "setting the JDK either in PATH or in asenv.conf."
> 4. should we also do something like asadmin --jdkhome
> /usr/java/jdk1.6 ... ?
Agree with all but #4. For #4, PATH should be used.

We should change the launcher logic to just use the JDK that is used by
asadmin client. Whether that JDK is picked up from asenv.conf or from
PATH is governed by #1, #2 and #3 above.

Thanks,
Sahoo