dev@glassfish.java.net

[v3] update on SIGSEGV build issue

From: Jane Young <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:07:03 -0800

Hi,

Want to give everyone an update on the build issue with SIGSEGV crash.

There is a <build> module in the v3 workspace that builds
maven-glassfish-extension and maven-glassfish-plugin jar files. These
two files are used by maven to build GFv3. So we have a situation where
the jar files are in use to build GF modules while they are also part
of the build. JDK does not allow updating the jar file while it's in
use (see: 4425695 <http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=4425695>).

The reason why we are seeing this in JDK 6 is because reading of jar
file has changed to reduce memory footprint (see: 6280693
<http://monaco.sfbay.sun.com/detail.jsf?cr=6280693>). The build issue
was there in JDK5 but it never surfaced. This could also explain why
the SIGSEGV crash was happening sporadically and in different places
during the build.

The fix is to remove building of the <build> module in the main GFv3
build but it will be built separately. So there is an extra step in the
build instruction:
1. svn checkout...
2. cd v3
3. mvn -Prelease-phase install
4. mvn install

Step 3 builds just the <build> module and step 4 builds the rest of GFv3
modules. I've updated the build instruction:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=V3FullBuildInstructions
You do not need to perform step 3 every time since after building
<build> module, the artifacts are copied to your local maven repository.
Note that this is temporary. We are looking into simplifying the build
procedure.

Thanks,
Jane