dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:54:52 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>> The java -jar way of invoking (introduced in v3) seems to have corrected
>> that mistake and probably has created another confusion in that you have
>> to specify both domain's folder and domain's name.
>
> Isn't this just a v3 bug? Right or wrong, shouldn't it just work the
> same as v2 and start-domain?

Frankly, java -jar has been introduced in v3, so I am not sure if
- it is supportable (note, it is not the same as embedded), it just
   appears to be a "cool" way of starting domain. Not sure why one would
   want to start it that way if "asadmin start-domain" works perfectly.
- it needs to draw parallels with V2.

Also, a closer examination of code (and some experimentation) tells me that
java -jar glassfish.jar --domaindir <real-domain's folder> is enough for
v3 domain to start. There is no need to specify domain name. But java -jar
command line does not flag that as an error. There is no error check built
into this command line.

In summary, I'd love to fix problems with java -jar way of launching server,
but is that worth it?

I'd really like to hear problems Rochelle has with doing "asadmin start-domain".