dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Full Build is ALWAYS Broken

From: Harsha Godugu <Harsha.Godugu_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:13:03 -0700

Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Byron Nevins <Byron.Nevins_at_sun.com
> <mailto:Byron.Nevins_at_sun.com>> wrote:
>
> When I do a full build now I REALLY do a full build. I wipe out
> all V3 files and then wipe out my Maven repository.

Good practice :-)
By doing this, you know if your changes cause any build failures down
the road.

> When I build after this it fails. Every time. It failed 2 weeks
> ago, 1 week ago, today.
>
> I wait for it to fail, then go to the javaee-api directory and
> build there.

There was a circular dependency issue. I think this is fixed now.
I did a build similar to what you did today. It went fine. There was
no back'n forth b/w javaee-api and other components.

> Then I go back up a level and restart the main build.
> The build then completes.
>
> Is this the way we have to do this permanently? Why does Hudson
> not blow-up all the time on full builds?
>

> because your "full" build is not a complete full build.
>
> Hudson is probably building _all_ the components, and so has the
> latest versions of _everything_.

probably -> needs to replaced with "certainly"
Yes! Hudson is building some components / projects which get pushed to
the repo when they pass the individual pproject's tests.

> If you were not linking different SCM roots with -SNAPSHOT versions
> this would not be an issue.

Thanks for highlighting this point.

-hg