dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [v3] build help ...

From: Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:31:49 +0100

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:34 AM, Sahoo <Sahoo_at_sun.com> wrote:

> Stephen Connolly wrote:
>
>> This is probably because some dependencies are being kept as -SNAPSHOT
>> dependencies when they should not be, while other dependencies are not being
>> kept as -SNAPSHOT dependencies when they should be.
>>
>> A quick rule of thumb is if the dependencies are within the same master
>> pom & scm root, then they can all be -SNAPSHOT. If they are in different
>> SCM roots, and there is no single pom.xml that will build them all then
>> either they should be tied with non-SNAPSHOT versions or you will need to
>> update them both and build them both repeatedly.
>>
>> What I tend to do when working on two or three trees in different SCMs in
>> between releases is create a local pom that links all the separate SCM roots
>> on my machine. That way I can keep the dependencies as -SNAPSHOT and work
>> on the latest without having these build problems
>>
> We plan to move to this model soon for components that are evolving
> together yet maintained in different SCMs.

Sahoo,

I know... I guess it's just I'd rather that people understand that the
reason Maven seems to be causing glassfish lots of headaches is because of
sub-optimal choices in how to use Maven not because of Maven.

And, yes I understand that in order to migrate to the "Maven way" these
choices need to be made until better ones can be applied...

For what it's worth, I do find that once you adopt the "Maven way" build
problems and build reproducibility are largely a thing of the past ;-)

-Stephen