dev@glassfish.java.net

[Attn Harpreet: Your checkin broke build for several hours] Re: compilation error when trying to build flashlight/framework

From: Sahoo <Sahoo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 08:36:20 -0700

We continue to cause build failures for hours together. It is
frustrating for developers who do want to follow the process and can't
get their work done because of mistakes of others. Despite several
requests, it appears that developers are not checking Hudson after
check-ins. The build [1] failed for a very simple reason, a method name
of interface/abstract class was changed, but the implementation was not
changed;

[INFO] Compiling 7 source files to /files/Hudson/workspace/glassfish-v3-devbuild/v3/flashlight/framework/target/classes
/files/Hudson/workspace/glassfish-v3-devbuild/v3/flashlight/framework/src/main/java/org/glassfish/flashlight/impl/provider/FlashlightProbeProviderFactory.java:51: org.glassfish.flashlight.impl.provider.FlashlightProbeProviderFactory is not abstract and does not override abstract method <T>getProbeProvider(java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.String,java.lang.Class<T>) in org.glassfish.flashlight.provider.ProbeProviderFactory
public class FlashlightProbeProviderFactory
       ^

A clean build in the local workspace should have caught it, right? OK,
we got past the first barrier. How about the second check post - Hudson?
A look at Hudson build status would have been sufficient to control the
damage to only 30 mins. The build started failing at around 1630 PDT on
Thursday and was not fixed until Jerome did so around 0200 PDT, causing
the system to be in a bad state for *~8 hours*. This included first half
of working hours for Indian developers.

I understand that we don't have the best build system yet, so that calls
for extra caution from developers.

Thanks,
Sahoo

[1]