dev@glassfish.java.net

about compatibility

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:06:51 -0700

I have spent some time in the last few days reviewing the functional
specs and I have found several of them openly talking about breaking
compatibility between V2 and V3 public APIs.

Even though I understand the need to change and enhance our features,
I for most of the cases find breaking compatibility un-acceptable and
all efforts must be made to support the old and the new mechanisms.

For instance in a discussion with IEC yesterday, I was pleased to hear
that they were planning to support old style of custom realm
implementation (plain old jar file) as well as provide a newer module
and service oriented that should be put forward as the better way to
write custom realms starting with V3. I believe we should be able to
apply such rules to most of the V3 features.

I am particular sensitive to APIs, or anything that can be used with
scripts (CLI) as programmers hate to have to change their code just
because someone else decided he/she had a better idea.

If indeed breaking compatibility is un-avoidable, be prepared to bring
a strong case to CCC.

Thanks, jerome