dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: upgrade compatibility requirements

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:41:13 -0700

Harsha Godugu wrote:
> Does this apply to ALL modules under GF ? Are there any exceptions to
> these compatibility requirements?

Yes, it applies to everything. Is there something you think it
*shouldn't* apply to?

> What about compatibility b/w mirnor /update releases to major/mile stone
> releases?

At this point we're only concerned about compatibility between FCS
releases. Compatibility between milestone releases is certainly a
goal, but with the major changes in V3 that's very difficult.

> (should also include test compatibility, framework compatibility,
> functional compatibility, inaddition to api compatibility)

Not sure what all you have in mind here.

Yes, it's a goal that we preserve compatibility with test suites and
the testing infrastructure, but if necessary that's something that can
be changed.

API compatibility doesn't just mean method signatures, it includes
the behavior of the methods.

What do you have in mind for framework compatibility? To the extent
that a framework is application code that runs on the app server, it
should continue to work.