dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why is a non-SNAPSHOT pom.xml referencing a SNAPSHOT version artifact?

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:48:33 -0800

you really need to talk to Kohsuke who did all these changes, I will
touch base with him tomorrow so we can resolve this appropriately.

jerome

On Mar 4, 2008, at 7:33 PM, Sahoo wrote:

> I agree a released artifact should be regarded as immutable.
> Therefore, the artifact must be produced such that it never
> references any SNAPSHOT versions of other artifacts. Unfortunately,
> that has not happened for this artifact, javax.activation:activation:
> 1.1. Now, if we bump the version and produce new versions, all the
> existing dependent artifacts must be also changed to refer to the
> new version, right? e.g., javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:2.1 depends on
> javax.activation:activation:1.1. Unless we fix pom.xml of
> javax.xml.bind:jaxb-api:2.1 to refer to this new version, we can
> never safely reproduce jaxb-api-2.1.jar, can we?
>
> Thanks,
> Sahoo
>
> Wayne Fay wrote:
>> Released artifacts should be regarded as immutable. So, the only way
>> to "fix" this is to release a version-bumped activation jar/pom.
>>
>> In an ideal world, this would result in a new jar/pom being deployed
>> with an updated version eg 1.1.1.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> On 3/4/08, Sahoo <Sahoo_at_sun.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think we are not being careful enough while using Maven. I just
>>> noticed that javax/activation/activation/1.1/activation-1.1.pom
>>> [1] is
>>> referencing org.glassfish.api:api:10.0-SNAPSHOT:
>>> <parent>
>>> <artifactId>api</artifactId>
>>> <groupId>org.glassfish.api</groupId>
>>> <version>10.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>>> </parent>
>>>
>>> Why? How can anyone reproduce 1.1 version of
>>> javax.activation:activation? I won't be surprised if there are
>>> more than
>>> one such pom.xml. I think artifact owners need to review the poms
>>> and
>>> fix them.
>>>
>>> I came across this when I saw these log messages while running maven
>>> without having Internet access:
>>> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Unable to
>>> get
>>> dependency information: Unable to read the metadata file for
>>> artifact
>>> 'javax.activation:activation:jar': Cannot find parent:
>>> org.glassfish.api:api for project: javax.activation:activation:jar:
>>> 1.1

>>> central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2),
>>> glassfish-repository (http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish),
>>> maven2-repository.dev.java.net (http://download.java.net/maven/2/),
>>> java.net-m2-repository (http://download.java.net/maven/2),
>>> java.net-m1-repository (http://download.java.net/maven/1),
>>> maven-repository.dev.java.net (http://download.java.net/maven/1/)
>>> Path to dependency:
>>> 1) com.sun.enterprise:auto-depends-plugin:jar:0.2-SNAPSHOT
>>> 2) com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-xjc:jar:2.1.3
>>> 3) com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-impl:jar:2.1.3