dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: should constants be used in a modularized system?

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:29:06 -0700

Ken,

I'm not sure if the example of using a variable with a static{...}
block has the same effect as simply declaring the variable. Presumably
it is different, but the JDK could be too smart for its own good.

Regarding a recommendation, this is more difficult. Kedar's email
suggests that he thinks it might not be a problem...or might be.

My assumption is that in a highly modular system, users expect to be
able to swap out modules quickly and easily, and that modules might
change their constants (maybe a pool size or default port or
whatever). Will problems be rare? Probably. Will they be minor?
Possibly not. I don't know those answers.

At this point I think it boils down to developer intent: should the
value of constant 'X' be runtime-current or compile-time current? I
think in most cases one will expect runtime-currency and therefore the
get() style is more appropriate, albeit a weird change in working
habits.

Since we build most modules together, we might easily dismiss this as
an issue. But what happens when we start patching by shipping new
versions of modules that 3rd-parties depend on and/or when 3rd parties
start plugging in many different modules? I don't know, but it makes
me a bit uneasy.

Lloyd