dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 redeploy does not work

From: vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:38:31 -0700

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
> vince kraemer wrote:
>> Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
[snip]
>> That is a great catch. So, now we just need to figure out a way to
>> make it easy for the user to disambiguate their intent, without
>> requiring that they reenter a full path every time they want to
>> redeploy something.
>
> Hmmm. But I am unsure how this happens with just the name alone.
>
> e.g.
> - asadmin deploy --name bar foo.war
> - asadmin redeploy bar
>
> will not execute because server does not know what to redeploy!
>
> Perhaps you're thinking only in terms of directory deployment.

You are right again. I was thinking of directory deployment, which is
the most useful deployment strategy for developers.

> In order to best disambiguate, for deployment or redeployment purpose,
> provide
> the correct data -- either the war file or the folder where it
> resides. It might
> be a little clumsy that you have to provide the path to the directory,
> but it is
> very clear.

That approach is one way to handle the redeploy of directory deployed
modules or applications.

Do all users need to pay a penalty for a worst-case scenario?

Or, can we develop a solution that minimizes the worst-case scenario and
minimizes the redundant data entry that is necessary?