dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: querying for v3 capabilties?

From: Peter Williams <Pete.Williams_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:08:59 -0800

Jerome Dochez wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2008, at 2:14 PM, Peter Williams wrote:
>
>> Is or could it be it possible to have an HTTP api command that would
>> query a running V3 server about whether it can run a certain
>> container or not (e.g. JRuby, Phobos, etc.) without actually starting
>> the container? Bonus points if the result included container runtime
>> version information and/or the container's installation location. Or
>> maybe query for the list of what containers are startable by the
>> current environment.
> ~/glassfish/bin/asadmin list-containers
>
> however, so far it only tells you all the supported containers, some
> may actually missing bits to run successfully, like you may need to
> install the jruby runtime, or configure it at least and so on...
Exactly -- missing bits. What I would like is to be able to ask the
server "Could you run a JRuby app right now and what version of JRuby
would you use if you did?" (Could be simplified technically to "Is
jruby.home initialized for the current server environment and what is it
pointing to")?

It's not a priority -- but it would nice.

-Peter