dev@glassfish.java.net

Headsup : change in v3 file structure

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:24:56 -0800

Hi All

All modules and jar files in V3 have moved from lib to modules
directory. Soon any files located in lib will be automatically added
to the shared class loader. This change is for compatibility reasons,
we have a lot of documentation out there, blogs, forums entries that
talk about placing a jar file inside the glassfish lib directory and
it would be picked up automatically.

In v3, with modularization, things are different of course, we could
not take the current lib content and place it on the shared class
path. Instead we moved all new modules and jars to a new directory
called modules and we are leaving the lib directory empty.

As users will place jar files in the lib directories, we will retain
the old behaviour of adding such jars to the shared class path.

to start V3, you need to do now one of the two thing :
        java -jar modules/glassfish-10.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
        asadmin start-domain.

I have updated the wiki with the relevant information.

Contact me for any issues/concerns.

thx, jerome