dev@glassfish.java.net

Mercurial Migration

From: Jason Lee <jason_at_steeplesoft.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:45:22 -0500

I have a question about the proposed/planned Mercurial migration. From the
traffic I've seen, it appears that the migration will be slow, due to the
nature/maturity of the CVS->Hg migration tools, thus requiring a sojourn in
the land of Subversion, which is understandable. What I *don't* understand
though (and I'm hoping someone can explain to me) is why the migration path
is CVS->Subversion->Wait a while->Mercurial? Why the long delay under svn?
Not having analyzed things as closely as I'm sure Those in Charge have, it
would seem that one could simply migrate the repo to svn, then turn right
around and migrate THAT to hg, thus avoiding requiring devs to learn a
"temporary" tool.

I ask, as I MIGHT be able to get my organization to consider making an
identical move, so I've been watching GlassFish's efforts (and OpenJDK's to
a lesser extent) to see what gotchas will be discovered.

Thanks!

--
Jason Lee, SCJP
Software Architect -- Objectstream, Inc.