dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: HA/in-memory replication

From: Ashish Sahni <Ashish.Sahni_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 21:22:34 -0700

Another question I need answered since I can't actually verify this now -
For the application session data to be replicated across instances, does
the data (stored
in HttpSession) have to be 'instanceof Serializable' ?

More questions inline:

kedar wrote:

> Ashish Sahni wrote:
>> While I'm waiting for the answer to my original question -
>> I installed sun webserver 6.1 and this is error I'm stuck at now
>> while trying to start the web server
>>
>> [https-hysteria.sfbay.sun.com]: failure: CORE3170: Configuration
>> initialization failed: Error running init function load-modules:
>> dlopen of /abc/gf-cluster/slb/plugins/lbplugin/bin/libpassthrough.so
>> failed (ld.so.1: webservd: fatal:
>> /abc/gf-cluster/slb/plugins/lbplugin/bin/libpassthrough.so: wrong ELF
>> class: ELFCLASS32)
>>
>> A file on libpassthrough shows
>> /abc/gf-cluster/slb/plugins/lbplugin/bin/libpassthrough.so: ELF
>> 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required,
>> UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
>>
>> hysteria is a 64bit sparcv9 box.
>> Is this is a 32/64 bit mismatch ?
>>
> Most likely. I am not sure if the 64-bit binary is available.
> The only option in this case is to boot your Solaris box in
> 32-bit mode (ugly, but I am not sure if something else would
> work).
Yes, I'll hold off on this for now.

>> I'm following directions form
>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/build/GlassFish_LB_Cluster.html
>> libpassthrough.so is downloaded from step#1 of the loadbalancer
>> plugin installation steps.
>>
>> And my original email questions still holds. Any takers to either ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ashish
>>

>> Ashish Sahni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to test in-memory replication between two instance of
>>> a cluster
>>> on a single machine without setting up the sun-webserver +
>>> load-balancer ?
>>> Can another glassfish instance be configured to act as the load
>>> balancer ?
> Consider that you have two instances "foo" and "bar" in
> a cluster.
>
> If the intent is just to "test" that session is preserved,
>
> - deploy an application by setting availability-enabled=true on it.
> - change the session attributes by "physically" contacting "foo".
> - change the session attribute.
> - stop instance "foo".
> - actually contact "bar" and see if you can see the change.
How do I change the session attribute by 'contacting' the instance ?
Replication of application session is data
is keyed off of cookies, right ? So I need to manipulate http requests
to the application, right ?
First request http://foo:1234/myapp/does-not-work (this request modifies
session )
Second request http://bar:4567/myapp/does-not-work( now this request
will have a different session identifier
sent from the browser since its a different URL), right ?
 I'll need to go looking for cookies in the request for foo and somehow
set it in the requests to bar !

Thanks
Ashish