dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: glassfish build errors (and warnings)

From: Shreedhar Ganapathy <Shreedhar.Ganapathy_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:53:28 -0800

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Shreedhar Ganapathy wrote:
>> Hello Bill
>> This is regarding the build failure you had in your setup. I just did
>> a complete fresh build and did not have build failure.
>>
>> The hudson continuous build does not seem to have this issue either
>> with building appserv-core-ee/cms sub module
>>
>> If your cron job ran around 12.30 am last night then the job may have
>> picked up things in between check ins as I had commited the changes
>> for the updated shoal binaries and associated code at the time. I
>> had done an update build, followed by local santity tests and ee
>> quicklook (although it does not do anything with clusters) before
>> checking in.
>
> I updated my workspace and did another build and it worked. The
> update did
> get new versions of a few files, is it possible someone fixed the build
> problem?
The cvs tip is open to checkins so more files could have been checked
in. But those were not related to your build errors. Your build somehow
did not have the correct version of shoal-gms.jar. That's the only
reason for those errors. The cvs mailing list archive shows when the
project.properties under glassfish/bootstrap was updated with the new
version information for the revised shoal jar and that's around midnight
Friday night.
> Or is it possible that my checkout caught things in some
> intermediate state?
That is most probably the case. But that could have only happened if the
checkout happened around midnight though.
> I did the checkout in the afternoon.
Huh? I dont get it then. I dont see any checkins to fix a build though.

> So, what about the other issues I pointed out?...

I agree that filtering the expected/known warnings would allow
unexpected warnings/issues in build to be caught quickly. But I would
prefer if each module could explore addressing these warnings the right
way rather than inventing a way to hide/filter these warnings. Post beta
this could be part of each module's todos. Another area where
contributions from community would help.

My 2 cents.