dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: ... and EJB API not in the maven repository

From: Lance J. Andersen <Lance.Andersen_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:16:13 -0500

Frank Kieviet wrote:
> To counter that: the javaee.jar is also no longer being developed since
> the spec is finalized!

I was not basing this on the spec being final. The J2EE 1.4 RI is not a
java.net project. Glassfish/Java EE 5 RI is so I see good sense in
doing this for javaee.jar.

If we are to do this for J2EE 1.4, then we need to update the J2EE 1.4
RI and I do not see a real need for this. Also, this might require an
investigation of the license given the download for J2EE 1.4 is done
from java.sun.com.

> Some people need j2ee14.jar to make sure that the sources being
> developed are not accidentally using EE 5 features that would break
> compatibility with J2EE 1.4.

Not sure I totally agree. If an application is being developed
specifically for J2EE 1.4, then i would expect that the development
platform is a J2EE 1.4 app server so i do not see this as an issue. In
the case of Connectors, both J2EE 1.4 and Java EE 5 use the same
Connector specification.

Now, that being said, I wish we had previously had the j2ee.jar files
contain only the interfaces but we did not and this has not been a huge
issue for us in the past. I am glad to see this change going forward
though.