dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: adding timing string to log message

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:51:41 -0800

Bill,

We're putting a major effort into speeding up server startup, so it
makes sense to have the information available. We don't have a good
set of criteria for what shows up in the server log at startup; I
think this qualifies more than a lot of stuff I see in the log.

Perhaps it's mostly for developers as far as being actionable. But it
gives hard data that a customer or user of Glassfish could pass back
to use, which might be helpful in understanding its performance. The
'time' command does not suffice; it includes asadmin as well as being
misleading for quick startup. The log message times things from when
main() is called; this is the code we can optimize (thanks to Byron
to speeding up the launch part).

The message is misleading currently; no mention is made of whether
it's a quick startup or not eg:
"-Dcom.sun.enterprise.server.ss.ASQuickStartup=true/false".

The difference is factor of at least 3-4X on a basic PE install.
I'll clarify that in the message.

Lloyd