dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: why on demand initialization of admin service?

From: Lloyd L Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 18:31:29 -0800

I've been working in the startup code for over a month, and the Admin
Service is started in PE and EE, rain or shine. So there is
definitely a misunderstanding, but I don't see how it could be mine.

I definitely do NOT agree that deferring startup of most services is
a good idea.

Doing so optimizes to sluggish response; start the server does a fake
"I'm ready", then any attempt to use it immediately stops while the
server starts something.

This already happens with the GUI, and is really annoying. That's
not an improvement, especially since 75% of the CPU time goes
*unused* on my quad-core machine, and 50% on my dual-core (during
startup). Even on single core machines there is I/O that idles the
CPU for a time.

Lloyd Chambers