dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish functions?

From: k0nsuli <k0nsuli_at_konsulaatti.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 01:54:29 +0200

Hi Jerome,

Jerome Dochez wrote:
> We would definitely like to assist with your effort you but we would
> need some information :
> - What is missing in the current glassfish eclipse plugin ?

The current plugin has all the basic features, but the actual
implementation is not so good. Also it seems that the plugin is
developed more to the NetBeans than the Eclipse.

> - Why a new project rather than extending the existing one ?

The source code is not documented well, it would take a lot of time to
study the project. The actual implementation is based an asadmin script
and without that, the control of the server will be much better and more
reliable. Actually the whole achitecture could be different and there
are dependencies to other plugins for no good reason. The user interface
could more user friendly than it is now.

> - Do you have a draft of the features you want to implement (with
> dates preferably) ?

The first version has all the basic features that you need to develop
J2EE applications. It includes the basic server control functions like
start server, stop server, deploy application, redeploy application,
remove application, and so on. There are also functions to create a
servlet, JPS, HTML files and WAR export. If I get all the information
that I need about the server APIs I hope that end of this year the first
release candiate can be released. The detailed list of features and the
time schedule will be ready when I know how to implement the server
control, which is the most important thing in my project.