dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: BEEP?

From: Ron Monzillo <Ronald.Monzillo_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:22:13 -0400

Jeanfrancois,

I have been reading through some of the references, which seem quite
interesting. I am mostly trying to understand web 2.0 and new
opportunities for additional security mechanisms. so if you don't mind,
I would like to ask questions every now and then, to help me understand
things.

so I was wondering, in your example of a gmail servlet filter, it says

> Fortunately we can use JavaMail for (1), and Grizzly default ARP implementation for (2) and (3), and by adding a new AsyncFilter implementation. Then, we just have to:
>
> 1. Starts Grizzly using ARP mode.
> 2. Create a JavaMail Session for Gmail to be used by the AsyncFilter.
> 2. Deploy the Gmail war file. All the account information (username, password, server url, port, etc.) are included inside web.xml (I agree the password shouldn't be there).
> 3. Use a browser to invoke the Servlet. The browser will keep the connection openned until you receive a new email.
> 4. When new emails are read, the Servlet will be executed and your email information (headers, text) will be displayed.
>
> The implementation just consist of:

on step 3, what is the cost of the open connection (on the server side)?
is the connection bound to a thread, would it scale if multiple browsers
were doing this at the same time? I honstly don't know the answers, and
I am not trying to be critical, I am jut trying to understand how such
an approach can deliver an async notification to a browser, if the
browser is not holding a connection. Must there be a separate browser
window for this to work?

Ron