dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Dumb Question - Tomcat and GlassFish

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 14:45:04 -0400

Jim Driscoll wrote:
> OK, I've been asked a question that I don't know the answer to:
>
> Is it possible to integrate an existing Tomcat implementation into
> GlassFish? Yes, I know that the web container implementation is based
> on Tomcat, but for some reason that I've yet to determine, they want to
> use an existing Tomcat.
>
> So - is it possible?

Not 100% sure...all the functionalities will not work. I doubt it will
works because we have added new API in the glue code
(com.sun.enterprise.web.*)

If so, how? If not, what work would be required
> to make it happen?

Not simple. You need to build Tomcat 5|6, and replace all the
org.apache.tomcat, org.apache.catalina, org.apache.coyote,
org.apache.jakarta, in glassfish.home/lib/appserv-rt.jar with the Tomcat
  5|6 implementation.

I really doubt it will works.....

-- Jeanfrancois