dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Broken Windows -- Re: How many folks are using static analysis tools...

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:40:39 -0700

vince kraemer wrote:
> Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart wrote:
>
>> No Broken Windows...
>>
>> is one of the principles that the Eclipse folks mentioned in the
>> JavaOne IBM keynote (Thursday morning). The name of the principle is
>> by analogy to what happens to an abandoned house that has broken
>> windows... an accpetance that things are broken and a downhill
>> deteriorating effect.
>>
>> So, the Eclipse guys (say they) make a point of trying to clean things
>> up all the time. This seems a very good principle and I think we
>> should follow up.
>>
>> Starting with the "Correctness" bugs seems good. Focusing on one file
>> at a time seems good. Eventually we want a house that we can all be
>> proud to show our friends and family.
>>
>> And yes, Bill, I owe a summary of the Eclipse prezo.
>>
>> - eduard/o
>>

> The 'No Broken Windows' principle is a variation of one of the feedback
> loops that is discussed in '*Debugging the Development Process :
> Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and
> Building Solid Teams'.
>
> *
> http://www.amazon.com/Debugging-Development-Process-Practical-Strategies/dp/B00005R08G/sr=8-1/qid=1158774509/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8185468-1123969?ie=UTF8&s=books
>

> I just started rereading this book a couple nights ago.

It's a very good book, everyone should read it!

Other good books on this subject...

http://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Development-Steve-McConnell/dp/1556159005/sr=8-1/qid=1158813121/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0626196-9956760?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamics-Software-Development-Best-Practices/dp/0735623198/sr=8-1/qid=1158813215/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0626196-9956760?ie=UTF8&s=books

And since Eduardo hasn't played the video for us yet (:-)), everyone
should go here and watch the IBM General Session:

http://java.sun.com/javaone/sf/sessions/general/day3.jsp