dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Call to utilize the GlassFish mailing lists

From: Amy Roh <Amelia.Roh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:11:15 -0700

Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Amy Roh wrote:
>
>> Yes, users and dev are two different aliases - no subset of another.
>>
> Amy, do you know if the lists are archived somewhere? I would imagine
> the java.net infrastructure supports that. I've found it very useful to
> be able to search across archived mailing lists to see if a question has
> been asked and answered before.

Yup. All aliases are archived and search able [1]. I haven't tried the
search capability in depth but it seems decent.

[1] https://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=dev

>> Marina Vatkina wrote:
>>
>>> They are different, and you need to subscribe to each one
>>> separately (and then delete the 2nd email :().
>>>
>>> How does announce_at_GF alias work? Do I need to subscribe to
>>> it as well or does it automatically include everybody with
>>> a login? If it does, why don't we use it? If it doesn't, can
>>> we fix this (so that it can be used appropriately)?
>>

>> You need to subscribe to each one. No automatic subscription.
>> announce_at_glassfish.dev hasn't been used much due to low subscription.
>> users and dev have been used for most announcements. You're welcome
>> to start using it though.
>>
> "If you announce it, they will come ... especially if its archived" :-)

Yeah, the problem is we don't want to have too many aliases. Not many
subscribe to announce alias and we still want to get the news out to dev
and users community.

+1 on using announce alias for big announcements so the news can be
easily searched and viewed through the alias archive.

Thanks,
Amy