dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: JavaMail 1.4.1ea SNAPSHOT available

From: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:08:42 -0700

Hi Kohsuke-san,

On Jul 17, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi Bill,
>> The naming of the mail jars has me a little confused. Couldn't
>> the snapshot be called mail-1.4.1-SNAPSHOT.jar? Does the "ea" add
>> value?
>
> But then, "-beta-SNAPSHOT" is reasonably common occurrence, so I
> don't see what's wrong with "-ea-SNAPSHOT".

That is not what is actually in the jar version. The actual version
misses the leading "-". If you put that in, then it will be less of a
problem.

> In my eyes, "EA" or "beta" and "SNAPSHOT" carry different meaning.
> SNAPSHOT just means the bits without any guarantee, but when
> something is called beta or EA, I expect certain quality.
>
> So I take "ea-SNAPSHOT" to mean "a work in progress toward the next
> 1.4.1 EA".

If you put in the leading "-" then I'd be willing to accept it.

Craig

> --
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi
> Sun Microsystems kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell_at_sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!