dev@glassfish.java.net

Fwd: Wanted: Improving the Maven story for GlassFish...

From: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:22:16 -0700

Hi Eduardo,

I like that the persistence jars that are on the glassfish maven repo
are split into api jar and implementation jar. It is more clear that
the api jar is the specification and the toplink jar is the reference
implementation. This way, developers can get the official spec jars
and use it with any implementation. Good job.

I'd also like to see these jars pushed to ibiblio where there are
many other open source jars. I can help you identify a place to put
them on ibiblio if there isn't already an obvious place...

Craig

> We just pushed a few more components to our maven repository (see
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/theaquarium?
> entry=java_persistence_and_ejb_jars)
> and we will continue adding components, and I expect that, as
> part of
> GlassFish v2, we will normalize and automate the creation of these
> components.
>
> The intention is to make this repository serve the larger Java
> Community. This is something that, over the years, Sun has been
> asked
> to do, and now, with the Open Source focus, we can deliver on. I
> have
> already seen people starting to use javamail and activation from
> there,
> and I think it would be useful to spend some energy in making the
> repository as useful as possible.
>
> Probably the first thing to do is to start collecting ideas of what
> needs to be done. By my tally we have:
>
> Components
> JavaPersistence API, TopLink Essentials,
> JSTL 1.2, JSP 2.0, Servlet 2.4, JSF 1.1, JSF 1.2
> FastInfoset, XMLStream
> JavaMail
> Java Activation Framework
> JAXB
> JAX-WS, SAAJ
>
> Relatives
> Facelets
>
> Tools GF uses
> Japex
> Dalma
>
> What components are clearly missing? Bill was talking about doing a
> javaee.jar just for the APIs. I noticed that JAX-RPC seems
> missing and
> that should be easy to add, so I just sent a ping to Doug about it.
>
> What else should we do? Some thoughts...
>
> * We need a better index than the blogs at TA... :-)
> * Regular announcements somewhere (including the Maven USERS
> mailing list)
> * Synchronization with ibiblio?
> * Better integration with NB/Eclipse support?
>
> What else?
>
> Who has expertise in this area? Volunteers to help?
>
> - eduard/o

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell_at_sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!