dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why do we need to waste time with a 'bug bridge'?

From: Geoffrey Halliwell <Geoffrey.Halliwell_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:02:08 -0700

Comment in-line...

vince kraemer wrote On 05/12/06 14:53,:
> Geoffrey Halliwell wrote:
>
>>Hi Vince,
>>
>>Bug Bridge was created to synchronize our internal and external bug
>>tracking system, and it's just another piece in building our GlassFish
>>eco-system.
>>

> Shouldn't/wouldn't that be a one-time operation:
> push open/internal issues to the external tracking system
> set internal db as read-only.
> file/update issues on the external tracking system after that.

        Yes, you could go external. But then we would have to write an
        Escalation Bridge.

>>It satisfies a most fundamental use-case for the external development
>>community: what bugs exist in the module I'm working on?
>>Is the
>>bug/issue I'm seeing a known problem? Can I get to the data easily?
>>

> huh? Those sound like the reasons to have a tracking system. I wasn't
> saying that we shouldn't have a tracking system.

        Ok, maybe I misunderstood your comment. You seemed to be saying
        that it was okay if external developers could only access
        IssueTracker bugs.

>>Also, merging the data makes it much easier to track a release.
>
> And having a single bug tracking system makes it even easier, right?
>
>> I've
>>worked on a number of releases with multiple bug-tracking system, and
>>trust me on this one - eventually it leads to confusion, and wastes time.
>>

> But it sounds like the bridge doesn't solve this problem in the most
> effective way.
>
>>Yes, it's important to file bugs. Yes, it's important to fix bugs. But
>>it's also important to have one common database to record and track the
>>quality issues.
>>

> Like I said, I was not arguing for the abandonment of bug tracking. I
> just wonder how a bug bridge will create 'one common database'?

        Well it handles updates so the data is common where we want it
        to be. :-)

        (Some escalation data cannot be published externally)