dev@glassfish.java.net

CORBA jars and maven repository

From: Ken Cavanaugh <Ken.Cavanaugh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 15:13:37 -0700

Carla,

I am in the process of creating and setting up a glassfish-corba
project on java-net. I need to understand exactly what needs to happen
to get CORBA jar files into GlassFish once we are ready to
build the jars in the glassfish-corba project, instead of
going through the current re build/promote/staging procedure.
I have a few questions:

1. Should we use the maven jar repository for this purpose?
   I think I can just incorporate the steps that Kohsuke has
   outlined into the ORB ant files easily enough.

2. Should we stick with the current model (with separate
   peorb.jar, optorbcomp.jar, and omgapi.jar), or
   just use a single jar file? I think a single file
   makes the most sense, perhaps glassfish-orb.XXX.jar,
   where XXX is a version. omgapi.jar is not needed,
   since GlassFish requires at least JDK 5.

3. How should we handle versioning? I think we probably
   need to maintain branches in CVS for CORBA that parallel
   the branches for GlassFish, and then maintain a build
   number after that. So, the current version would be
   (say) 9.1.1, and we would increment the last number
   every time we release a new ORB build. The existing
   GlassFish FCS branch (9.0) is unaffected by this, as
   the current internal build procedure would remain in
   place for this.

4. What needs to be modified in the GlassFish build to
   enable it to pick up the correct version of the
   ORB jar file?

Please let me know if this is the correct direction to
take, or if we should be doing something completely
different.

Thanks,

Ken.