dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish jars to maven repository

From: Dinesh Patil <Dinesh.Patil_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 18:02:57 -0700

Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> Dinesh Patil wrote:
>
>> I thought you said glassfish *directory* structure and not the build
>> structure.. but that too is not so complex looking at the
>> requirements we are trying to address from previous one..
>> We already have the meetings and discussion on GlassFish workspace,
>> and here is the summary of it.
>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/build/BuildSystemStatus.html
>

> OK, yeah, you did mention directory structure. It's just when I
> originally wrote "I figured out the glassfish directory structure and
> all that by myself", the bulk of the time was spent figuring out the
> build system. But that's certainly not obvious given the way I wrote
> it. My bad.
>

>> * Workspace team thinks that current build system is far from
>> perfect on maven usage but still very stable, and easy to build,
>> so don't need to scrap everything for providing few missing
>> features like IDE etc.
>

> I think there's a large gap between the characterization done above
> and what I've been hearing from people around me.
>
> I'd humbly suggest for the workspace team to conduct some usability
> experiments. Take some people in our building that hasn't built
> Glassfish before, and ask them to build it on their workstations, and
> watch over their shoulders. See where they get stuck, what errors they
> get. Compare that with other projects.
>
> Or just ask around for people's honest opinions about their experience
> in building Glassfish. Many Tango developers did it, and I'm sure they
> are happy to share their experiences.

Tango developers, please send me your opinions and issues you faced
during GlassFish build, we will try to resolve it in current workspace
if possible.

>> provides good build infrastructure to GlassFish.
>> * So we will do dry run on using Ant for downloading binary
>> dependencies, and all build commands (similar to what currently we
>> are using for checkout, bootstrap, bootstrap-all, build,
>> configure-runtime etc)
>> * *=>This is done, i checked in the changes already.. Proxy settings
>> need to be resolved..*
>> * Use common "classes" directory like
>> ${glassfish.root}/publish/classes to compile all the classes and
>> run assemble target once from top-level module (like glassfish,
>> appserv, appserv-ee) to save time on updating jar files
>> repeatedly.
>> *=>this won't happen since Kedar specified that there is issue
>> with current classloader issue*
>> * Try NetBeans to build GlassFish out-of-the-box.
>> * Once above AIs are experimented successfully, send proposal to
>> dev_at_glassfish to use ANT for GlassFish Workspace.
>
> * We are not using Maven features and don't need to use those as Ant
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing those implemented.

GlassFish workspace builds using Ant tool also, I will post this on
glassfish website soon.. You can try and let me know if you see any issues.
thanks
Dinesh