dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Status of the workspace

From: Matthew L Daniel <mdaniel_at_scdi.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:49:18 -0500

> Please make sure you continue to run the tests before each checkin.

I was thinking this weekend about how to mitigate some of these build
failures. Since I have been on the list and playing with Glassfish,
build failures come in two varieties: lack of atomic/meaningful CVS
commits and classpath differences.

For the CVS problem, I wondered if anyone has experience with or a
suggestion of a tool that will work like "svn status" for CVS (or, if I
begged enough could we actually USE Subversion!): that is, it would show
the status of the files in the working copy without changing the state
of the working copy (as does "cvs update").

I am interested in seeing files that are not under version control and
files that are locally modified but not yet committed.

A command like:
> cvs status 2>&1 | grep '^? \|Status:'
would probably be a start, but preferably be able to do this from inside
Maven as part of the pre-commit routine.

As for the [bane of Java existence; our "DLL hell"] classpath issues,
I'm stumped on that one. My only positive contribution would be for
Maven to check [ -z $CLASSPATH ] to ensure that the pom is controlling
the dependencies.

  These are my thoughts, I welcome yours,
  -- /v\atthew