dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: the future of the master passowrd

From: <vince.kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:00:18 -0700

Okay...

I think I need to restate the question a little bit..

Currently, a user can create a domain in one of four ways...

1. asadmin create-domain with --password option.

This is depricated because it is a security risk. The --password option is not documented. When the user creates the domain, the domain gets a saved default master-password ("changeit": for those playing along at home). The happens "silently". The user is not prompted during start-domain, since the master-password is read during start-up from the file.

2. create-domain with --savemasterpassword=true.

This prompts the user for a master password as the domain is created. It is saved in master-password. The user specified master-pasword is read during domain start-up.

3. create-domain with --passwordfile option.

I honestly don't know what this does, since I haven't tried it. I assume that the master-password is not saved to disk (unless the user gave the --savemasterpassword=true argument. The user would be prompted for the master password IF they don't apply the same --passwordfile option and value to their start-domain command.

4. plain old create-domain.

prompts for the password and master password as the domain is created. User is prompted for the master-password as the domain is started...

Will the --password option be completely deprecated in the future? Is that likely to happen in the near or long term?

Other comments in line...