dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: a few more email aliases

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:04:05 -0500

Hi, Jim.

Is it easy to summarize the traffic on the main alias by week? Month?

I have a gut feel for what the traffic has been, but seeing the numbers
might shed some more light on this.

Apart from that, it seems like a philosophical choice whether to funnel
what traffic there is through a single alias or to start creating more
focused.ones lists.

I have not participated heavily in open source discussions on mail
aliases, but on other lists there is for me a bell curve with traffic
volume (on the X axis) plotted against my interest in the list (on the Y
axis). If traffic is too low, I find myself not very intrigued. If it
is too high, there may be good information in the discussion but it's
hard to sift through the high volume to find the good stuff. There is a
"just right" level of traffic that - again, for me personally -
indicates enough activity that good ideas are probably in there but not
so much activity that I can't find those good ideas.

And, no, I do not know precisely what that magic volume of traffic is!
But discounting cvs traffic I feel like I'm close to the left-hand end
of the bell curve (low traffic, low interest) with the current glassfish
list.

- Tim