dev@glassfish.java.net

Bootstrap vs Build

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:23:39 -0400

Bootstrap: explode the glassfish-image.jar under ${glassfish.home}

Build: build the source module and update the associated jars/file under
${glassfish.home}. bootstrap has to be called 1 time before calling
build since build used ${glassfish.home} jars to build its classes
against it.

ex:

% cd glassfish/
% maven bootstrap //download and explode the server image
% maven checkout -Dmodules=appserv-http-engine
% vi ../appserv-http-engine/.... //Add System.out.println("GlassFish is
cool");
% maven build //Build appserv-http-engine (since it's the only src
modules), and update glassfish-image (
${glassfish.home}/lib/appserv-rt.jar )
% maven configure-runtime // Needs to create domains at least 1 domain.

People that want to install the latest nightly without any modifications
just have to do:

% maven bootstrap configure-runtime

The -o options has nothing to do with the GlassFish goals. It's a Maven
feature:

See: http://maven.apache.org/about/features.html

and

http://maven.apache.org/using/repositories.html

If you don't want to download the GlassFish nightly build everyday and
build against promoted build, edit, in glassfish/project.properties

// Add the promoted build repository
maven.repo.remote=...:http://java.net/download/javaee5/promoted/${glassfish.os.name}

// Specify a promoted version
glassfish.image.version=9.0-b06

This will tell Maven to always use b06 and never download a newer version.

See: http://maven.apache.org/using/managing-dependencies.html

to understand how it works.

-- Jeanfrancois