admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: create-cluster options multicastport, multicastaddress

From: Joseph Fialli <joe.fialli_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:55:30 -0400

On 7/21/10 9:37 AM, Jennifer Chou wrote:
> Thanks I have updated the spec with the usage. So --heartbeadaddress
> and --heartbeatport were options on create-cluster in v2.x?
I was lead to believe that. But since they were not documented, I am
uncertain now.

We have the following support in GF v3.1 asadmin create-cluster based on
the feedback that these were legal options in past.
The code below makes it so GF v3.1 asadmin create-cluster would accept
deprecated options --heartbeataddress and --heartbeatport.

/**
      * Sets the value of the gmsMulticastPort property.
      *
      * @param value allowed object is
      * {_at_link String }
      * @throws PropertyVetoException if a listener vetoes the change
      */
     @Param(name="multicastport", optional=true, alias="heartbeatport")
     void setGmsMulticastPort(String value) throws PropertyVetoException;

     /**
      * Sets the value of the gmsMulticastAddress property.
      *
      * @param value allowed object is
      * {_at_link String }
      * @throws PropertyVetoException if a listener vetoes the change
      */
     @Param(name="multicastaddress", optional=true,
alias="heartbeataddress")
     void setGmsMulticastAddress(String value) throws PropertyVetoException;

Perhaps it is a misunderstanding that --heartbeatport and
--heartbeataddress were
valid options for gf v2.x.

All I know is that for ease of use, it is good to use the defaults.
For production systems, it is best to explicitly specify and manage
which multicast address and ports
are being used.

-Joe

> Usage: create-cluster
> [--config <config>]
> [--systemproperties (name=value)[:name=name]*]
> [--multicastport <multicastport>]
> [--multicastaddress <multicastaddress>]
> cluster_name
>
> You may want to add @Pattern(regexp= for the multicastaddress
Agree. Will figure out how to do that and add it to enforce only valid
values.

Joe