admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: text man page integration with v3 commands ...

From: Paul Davies <Paul-Martin.Davies_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:10:18 -0700

Hi,

> It may also be a good idea to be more agile here and get
> the man page from the web, such that the freshness of
> content is addressed. Too many times have I observed
> that bundled docs are just wrong or incomplete. (This is
> not a criticism, just observation.)
If there is no requirement to deliver man pages in a format that can be
read on a text-only terminal (do such things still exist even?), I very
much like this idea. The need to deliver generated preformatted text
files under source control into the build is problematic for a number of
reasons.

The man pages are already published on the web on the docs.sun.com^SM
site and have stable and predictable URLs of the form:

    http://docs.sun.com/doc//partnum///command/-/sectno
    /

    * /partnum /is a number that identifies the Reference Manual that
      contains the man pages for a release and is the same for all man
      pages in a release. For example for v3 Prelude, /partnum/ is
      820-4497. For v3 Final, due in September, the part number is
      slated to be: 820-7701.
    * /command/ is the name of the command, for example, start-domain.
    * /sectno/ is the section number of the Reference Manual to which
      the man page belongs. Subcommands of the asadmin utility are in
      section 1. The asadmin utility is in section 1m. The concept man
      pages are sin section 5asc.

Examples:

    * start-domain: http://docs.sun.com/doc/820-4497/start-domain-1
    * asadmin: http://docs.sun.com/doc/820-4497/asadmin-1m
    * logging: http://docs.sun.com/doc/820-4497/logging-5asc

Regards,

--
Paul Davies, Senior Technical Writer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
http://blogs.sun.com/techscribe/