admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Handling commands missing from a given distribution ...

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 21:26:29 -0700

On Mar 12, 2009, at 4:01 PM, Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

> Hi Jerome,
>
> Didn't know that work was underway in this area.
> But I am not sure if deployment is the only trigger
> for this.
>
> My idea is analogous to Ubuntu, which doesn't just
> break on a command missing from PATH, but helps the
> user get to it if the command is something that it
> knows about! Thus, svn/git/hg/... get a special treatment, but
> a typo or an unknown program does not.
>
> Thus, something special is going on there. I suspect it is
> communicating with the Debian package repo and doing something.
> Need to investigate.
>
> Also, how would deploy command help when user tries
> something like "asadmin create-cluster" or "create-node-agent"?
it would not, clearly what you are proposing would be the only way to
solve it.
All I was saying is that, agreeing with Tim, it would be nice to
support :

asadmin deploy myejb.jar
> the ejb container is not installed, do you want to install it ?

and that's what deployment backend has some hooks and facilities for.
This would not be something you would be able to solve with your
proposal unless you would have some miracle logic. The two
technologies are complementary.

I also think that solving the example above has a lot of value,
because a lot of users would get into such scenario, let's face it,
deploy and undeploy are probably to most used commands (with start-
domain of course).

jerome