admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: Handling commands missing from a given distribution ...

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:39:33 -0500

Kedar,

This seems like a very nice usability enhancement.

One possible frustration awaits users... If the system is smart enough
to tell me (as the user) what *I* should do to obtain the missing piece,
why doesn't it just ask me if I want *it* to do it for me?

    EJB support is not currently installed. Would you like to download
and install it now? [y/n]

I remember with not much fondness a product I used back in the '80s
called TDMS from Digital (both long gone!). It had a definition
language in which the word "request" figured prominently. I remember
with great disgust that, encountering the misspelling "reqeust" (I was a
frequent offender) its diagnostic error would complain something like

    Found "reqeust." Did you mean "request?"

Infuriating.

- Tim