admin@glassfish.java.net

Starting server with JRE vs JDK

From: Anissa Lam <Anissa.Lam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:59:36 -0700

Hi,

I want to see how we can better inform user that they are starting up
the server with JRE instead of JDK when they run into errors, such as
accessing context sensitive help in the admin console.

SEVERE: ApplicationDispatcher[] PWC1231: Servlet.service() for servlet
jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
       at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Jsr199JavaCompiler.compile(Jsr199JavaCompiler.java:197)

       at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:361)
       at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:430)
       at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:608)

       at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:374)

       at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:473)
       at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:366)
       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:847)

When i tried to help resolving the issue #6125 , i can't even tell
whether they are running JRE or JDK, or which version of JDK the server
is using, just by looking at server.log. Should we add such
information in server.log ?
In v2, I can at least look at asenv.conf to find out which jdk the
server is using, but in v3, i can't do that anymore.

I have looked at the QuickStart Guide and quickly looked at
Administration Guide, I don't see anywhere that mentions about what
JDK version is supported or if JRE is fine to use or what problem user
may run into if they use JRE. Should we include this information ? If
not in quick start guide, should be available somewhere.

Just want to see if you have any idea to help user to resolve issues
like this.

thanks
Anissa