admin@glassfish.java.net

Re: V3 configuration data types API change (please read)

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:17:24 -0800

Lloyd L Chambers wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Proviso: my knowledge of this area is limited. AFAIK, <domain> could
> contain a system property HTTP_LISTENER_PORT and so could <config>, and
> so could <server> and each could have a different value. But see
> failure below where I tried...a bug?

It looks like you've found a bug here, but it's unrelated to the
problem at hand.

What do you think the semantics are of defining a system property in
<server> vs. defining it in <config> (assuming it worked, of course)?

If the property is defined in <config>, is it only set when that config
is being used? I guess that must be the intent.

So, if you're going to expand the value of a system property, you might
need to know the <config> element context in which the value occurs.

Ok, now I see the issue.

Of course, it's also possible that other system properties will vary from
machine to machine, without being specified in domain.xml, so to properly
resolve a system property reference you really need to do it on the
machine that's running the config that contains the element in which the
property reference occurs. Yuck. I assume we just ignore that aspect of
the problem and only interpret the system property settings within the
<config> element.

(I've been thinking too much of the simple DAS case where all of this
would be much easier.)