dev@fi.java.net

Re: JAXB modification of Name

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:44:23 +0200

Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> Thanks. Really the only reason to make it the abstract class in the
>> first place was that invoking a method on an abstract class is
>> hopefully faster than invoking a method on an interface.
>>

> That could be true. I did not think of that. I am not sure what the
> difference in calling would be between an abstract method and an
> interface method, or even a overridden non-final method. I know that
> making methods final, or the concrete class final, can make a difference.

Note, I think there may be more mileage improving, if possible, the
output buffering for UTF8XmlOutput. Having a private buffer and
non-synchronized write method can significantly improve performance.

In all other current cases, DOM, SAX, StAX, interfaces are used anyway
so it is probably not a big deal for these.

Paul.

\--
| ? + ? = To question
    Paul Sandoz