users@ejb-spec.java.net

[ejb-spec users] [jsr345-experts] Re: EntityManager and Serializable

From: Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 16:19:26 +0200

Hi Jean-Louis,

Indeed, the JPA Expert Group could be the best place, but, that being said,
this topic is broader than just JPA. Entity Manager not being serializable
has an impact on stateful applications : it's impossible to have
conversation in clusters and impossible to have sub-conversations (Spring
Webflow allows it by hacking the EntityManager). So this topic has a real
impact on applications using Stateful EJBs, JSF and CDI (conversation).

I don't know the technical constraints but I never understood why
EntityManager was not designed to be serializable.

Antonio

--
Antonio Goncalves
Software architect and Java Champion