jsr345-experts@ejb-spec.java.net

[jsr345-experts] Re: Adding support for optional feature groups

From: Jeremy Bauer <jrbauer_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 16:53:38 -0600

Hi Marina,

With a clarification in the 2.x group, what is in 17.1 will suffice.
Thanks!

-Jeremy

From: Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>
To: jsr345-experts_at_ejb-spec.java.net,
Cc: Jeremy Bauer/Rochester/IBM_at_IBMUS
Date: 03/07/2013 03:58 PM
Subject: [jsr345-experts] Re: Adding support for optional feature
groups

On 3/7/13 12:49 PM, Jeremy Bauer wrote:
A comment regarding the EJB 2.x API group. Does/should implementation of
this group require support of 2.0 (and earlier?) deployment descriptors?
 DD's prior to 2.0 did not provide local interfaces so it wouldn't make
sense to support them with EJB lite + 2.x API group unless the remote
group was also provided.

Yes. 2.x group is required to support all but CMP/BMP. I'll add Components
to it to be explicit. Only 3.x remote is a separate group to be able to
add it to the EJB Lite directly.

Section 17.1 currently reads:

Full EJB 3.2 implementations must support EJB 1.1, EJB 2.0, EJB 2.1, EJB
3.0, and EJB 3.1 deployment descriptors for applications written to
earlier versions of the Enterprise JavaBeans specification.

that's still correct.

EJB 3.2 Lite implementations must support EJB 3.0, and EJB 3.1 deployment
descriptors for applications written to the EJB 3.x versions of the
Enterprise JavaBeans specification.

yes.

Depending what is decided, this section may need an update. To keep
things simple, I think 2.x feature group should require pre 3.0 DD's to be
supported. If the server does not support features defined in a DD (ex.
remote), the app will fail to deploy or at runtime.

It should follow all other rules. I.e. if EJB Lite detects a remote EJB in
the DD, it should fail deployment (unless the product...).

Let me know if and how exactly to you want to change those statements if
you still don't think they are clear enough?

-Jeremy