jsr345-experts@ejb-spec.java.net

[jsr345-experts] Re: Keeping on track (Application Assembler role/responsibility)

From: Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 19:27:12 -0700

Reza, (all),

As there are (unnecessary) duplications in the spec, I used your text to
improve the 2.2.2 section (Roles):

=======================================================================================================================
"The Application Assembler combines enterprise beans into larger
deployable application units. The input to the Application Assembler is
a set of enterprise beans, their interfaces, and metadata, as produced
by the Bean Provider(s). The Bean Provider's output may also simply be
un-assembled enterprise beans that must be packaged in an ejb-jar or.war
file. The Application Assembler may insert the application assembly
instructions into the deployment descriptors. The Application Assembler
will create one or more ejb-jar and/or.war files from the input
artifacts together with their application assembly instructions as needed.

All of the input could be combined into a single output ejb-jar or .war
file. Similarly, the input could also be split into multiple output
ejb-jar and/or .war files. For example, the Application Assembler could
combine ejb1.jar and ejb2.jar into ejb3.jar, combine ejb1.jar and
web1.war into web2.war, split ejb1.jar into ejb2.jar and ejb3.jar, split
web1.war into ejb1.jar and web2.jar, and so forth. Each output ejb-jar
or .war file is either a deployment unit intended for the Deployer or a
partially assembled application that is intended for another Application
Assembler.

The Application Assembler can also combine enterprise beans with other
types of application components when composing an application."
=======================================================================================================================

and in 14.3 (Responsibility for DD) came up with this:

=======================================================================================================================
"The Application Assembler assembles enterprise beans into deployment
units. The Application Assembler’s input is one or more enterprise
beans, un-assembled or contained in one or more ejb-jar and/or .war
files provided by one or more Bean Providers. All of the input could be
combined into a single output ejb-jar or .war file, or could be be split
into multiple output ejb-jar and/or .war files. Each output ejb-jar or
.war file is either a deployment unit intended for the Deployer or a
partially assembled application that is intended for another Application
Assembler."

Let me know if it looks ok or need/can be improved.

thanks,
-marina