jsr345-experts@ejb-spec.java.net

[jsr345-experts] Re: Keeping on track

From: Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:29:44 +0200

Hi

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 01:02, Marina Vatkina <marina.vatkina_at_oracle.com>wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> Before we go any further on the discussions of the spec improvements, we
> need to close on several issues with the current version:
>
> 1. Vote on the optionality of the Entity Beans and JAX-RPC based Web
> Service Endpoints (and the split of the spec into 2 parts, but the split is
> the secondary issue). I have only 3 votes (positive) so far.

You have my +1

> 2. Close on the items marked by Linda as XXX in the drafts.

I've been following the XXX marks threads and agreed on most of them

> 3. Define *deterministic* rules in the EJB spec about EJB Lite vs. EJB Full
> list of features in regards to the EJB support in a Web Profile container.
> In addition to be very flexible (contrary to the regular Java EE approach,
> and the expectations of the EJB TCK), the current wording in the spec does
> not make it clear a) what is expected and what is not in the Web Profile,
> and b) if we keep it flexible, how a user (at deployment and/or runtime) can
> determine if a specific feature outside EJB Lite is available/supported.

This is a bit tricky. Let me go a bit further. Let's say (and I emphasis my
'let's day') PAAS/SAAS features in Java EE 7 are put into a seperate profile
(not into EE 7 itself), this would mean that we would have 3 different
flavours of EJBs : EJB Full, EJB Lite and EJB Cloud (BTW, EJB Full doesn't
seam a good name to me). What are the differences between a EJB Full vs EJB
Lite vs EJB Cloud ? How to make it clear to the reader and implementor what
to use when ?

Two posisble approaches :

   - we define everything (all the services) in the EJB spec and in the same
   spec have a chapter defining what services apply to EJB Full, EJB Lite, EJB
   Cloud
   - we define everything (all the services) in the EJB spec. In fact, we
   could even rename it to Enterprise Java Services (instead of Enterprise
   Java Bean). Then, in the EE spec we define what services are available in
   EE, in the Web Profil spec we define what services are available in the Web
   Profile, and in the Cloud Profile spec we define what services are available
   in the Cloud Profile

I have a preference with the second approach

Antonio

--
Antonio Goncalves
Software architect and Java Champion