jsr345-experts@ejb-spec.java.net

[jsr345-experts] Re: Welcome to EJB 3.2!

From: Pete Muir <pmuir_at_bleepbleep.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:05:04 +0100

Hi

I am representing Red Hat on this JSR, and will likely be joined by a colleague at some stage. I also (co-)represent Red Hat on JSR-107 (JCache), JSR-347 (Data Grids) and am spec lead for JSR-346 (CDI). Previously I was involved with JSF 2.0. At Red Hat, I am work day-to-day on Infinispan (a data grid project) and am heavily involved in JBoss Application Server (focused on usability and CDI), Weld (the RI of CDI), Arquillian (the testing framework for incontainer testing) amongst other projects.

My vision for EJB is that it becomes "a set of enterprise services, applicable to any bean deployed to Java EE". What does this mean in practice? That the distinction between EJBs and managed beans goes away. If you want to add a service that EJB offers such as declarative concurrency, declarative transactions, pooling to a managed bean, there is no need to explicitly add @Stateful, @Singleton etc. You just apply the necessary annotation to add the service to the method or class.

Further, it would also mean deprecating and eventually removing @EJB style injection, and aligning @Resource and @PersistenceContext better with CDI style injection (not sure quite how we do this).

Finally, I think it's important that we do at some point remove the "extinct" functionality such as CMP from the default EJB API, to reduce the confusion a new developer get's when approaching Java EE for the first time.

Looking forward to seeing EJB 3.2 take shape!

Pete