jsr236-experts@concurrency-ee-spec.java.net

[jsr236-experts] Re: On ManagedTaskListener related APIs in MES and MSES

From: Nathan Rauh <naterauh_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:39:21 -0600

I was hoping to just see context properties merged with execution
properties (on both ContextService and ManagedTask), because I think the
distinction between them is blurry (it's not always clear what is a
context property vs what is an execution property) and I don't think
customers will really care about making a distinction, and it will be more
convenient to the user if there is no need to make any distinction or
bother with separate lists of properties.

Here's a good code example of the consistency I'd like to see between
ContextService and Managed*ExecutorService:

properties = new Properties();
properties.setProperty("vendor_a.security.tokenexpiration", "15000"); //
fits the category of context property
properties.setProperty(LONGRUNING_HINT, "true"); // fits the category of
execution property
properties.setProperty("vendor_a.taskowner", "MyServlet"); // could be
either category (or even both categories)
task1 = contextService.createContextObject(task, properties,
Runnable.class);
executorService.submit(task1);

task2 = ManagedExecutors.managedTask(task, properties, listener);
managedExecutorService.submit(task2);

In either case, the user wants to submit a task with a set of properties.
They should be able to submit the same task with the same properties
regardless of whether they're submitting to a Java SE ExecutorService via
a contextual proxy vs submitting directly to a ManagedExecutorService.

On a related topic, I wonder if getIdentityName() would be better as one
of these properties.
Currently, a user has to implement a method to provide an identity name,
which, as in the other scenarios, will be inconvenient if you want to
assign an identity name to a task from a third party library.
We could get rid of the getIdentityName() method altogether, and have
  properties.setProperty(IDENTITY_NAME, "MyTaskName");
This would also allow for associating an identity name with a contextual
proxy, which would be useful.

Nathan Rauh
Software Engineer, WebSphere Application Server
IBM Rochester Bldg 002-2 C111
3605 Highway 52N
Rochester, MN 55901-7802