users@javamail.java.net

Re: a sent message has both the sent and received dates not null (imap)

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:35:10 -0700

Whether the sent data is set or not may depend on whether or not your mail
client (Thunderbird in this case) sets the Date header of messages it sends.
Normally I would expect it to do so.

The received data is probably being set to the date on which the copy of
the sent message is appended to the Sent folder.

I don't know of a way to definitively tell whether a message was appended
to a folder because it was "sent" or for some other reason, especially
since you can move messages between the INBOX and Sent folders without
"sending" or "receiving" them.