users@javamail.java.net

a sent message has both the sent and received dates not null (imap)

From: <xoot123_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:56:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
I'm reading from the Sent folder of IMAP server an email I wrote and sent with Thunderbird - to avoid any possible error that could come from my application.

Is it correct that both the received date and the sent date are not null in the obtained IMAPMessage?
In particular, I'm seeing that the sent date is some seconds earlier than the received date.
If that's fine, what's the most reliable way to tell if an email is sent or received?

Thanks
M. R.